Thursday, October 29, 2015

Exercise Your Rights

Civic Duty - The concept of civic duty is based on the principle that citizens owe some allegiance to their government and that government in turn protects its citizens. Civic duties refer to the responsibilities of citizens. Some examples of civic duties are obeying the law, serving on a jury, paying taxes and voting.

I have had the honor of being called for jury duty this week and it opened my eyes to civic duty. First of all, let me explain that I was not real crazy when I found out that I had to show up for jury duty this week. I had a whole lot of reasons why I didn't want to serve, especially this week. One of the main reasons I had for not serving was that it is Ohio Graduation Test (OGT) week, and I knew this would put a strain on student services and the staff. I also know that when I am gone for a day or two, the work load seems to be four times more when I get back. It just wasn't a convenient time and I was reluctant. However, I did show up and went through the entire process of being selected for jury duty. To watch all that goes on and to see how thorough the lawyers, judge, and court personnel were, was just amazing. It gave me a whole new respect for the system and how fair they try to make it for the defendant and everyone involved. It was very professional and first class. Unfortunately I was released from duty and did not get to experience the entire process. I now hope that I will get another chance some day and I can proudly perform my civic duty.

Another civic duty that many of us will have a chance to perform next week is the duty to cast your vote. I hope if you have reached the age of 18, that you have registered to vote in this election. I also hope that if you registered to vote, that you would exercise your right to vote next Tuesday. There are a lot of people who have fought for our right to vote and many who have died so that we would have the right to vote and to live in this great country. Every time you see a military personnel, I hope you thank them for their service. They are the reason why we can serve on a jury, and why we have the ability to vote. Please don't neglect this obligation that all of our citizens should take advantage of. There are people all over the world who would love to have the right to vote for the people or the issues that effect them.

So as I think about this week and next, I can't help feeling very patriotic and proud. It is easy to get frustrated with the things going on in this country and with things we don't agree with. However on Tuesday, we have a chance to let our voice be heard. We can say yes, I will perform my civic duty. I also hope if you ever get called for jury duty, you will look forward to the experience and proudly exercise your rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment