Sunday, October 11, 2015

Gone But Not Forgotten

I'm sure when you read the title of this blog today you were thinking of how many times you have heard that saying, "Gone But Not Forgotten", especially when talking about someone who has passed away. This time however I am referring to the students who have attended Vantage over the years but are now moved out of the area or are busy living their new life. See the other day Mrs. Hatcher and I were talking about several students that have graduated from here and how they used to make us laugh or they were just pleasant to be around. This was a long list of some great students and it seemed that the list was getting longer the more we talked. There were some great memories and a lot of laughs. This is when I thought to myself that it is sad that we don't get to see them very much anymore, or in some cases, not at all.

I instantly thought of a quote from one of my favorite movies, the Shawshank Redemption. Red was thinking out loud to himself and thinking about his good friend Andy Dufresne who had just escaped from prison. Red no longer had Andy with him and they had spent twenty some years together. Red said: "Sometimes it makes me sad, though... Andy being gone. I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up DOES rejoice. But still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess I just miss my friend."

Well I certainly don't think Vantage is drab and empty that those students are gone, no it's just the opposite to me. See I believe in the old story that our life is like a bank. When we meet good people who are trustworthy, kind, compassionate and funny, it is like them depositing "money" in our bank. We have that money to spend by being trustworthy, kind, compassionate and funny to others. When we meet negative people who bring us down, they remove this "money" from our bank and we no longer have it available to us. So I feel these past students have deposited a lot of money in my bank and I continue to use it on all the future students. They have left a mark on me and it has made me a better person.

Like ole Red said, I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are too bright. I think that's what happens here at Vantage. We train these students to go out and be successful and be well rounded adults. We help them find jobs that match their skills or we prepare them for college. It is only when they leave that they can finally spread their wings on their own. We then stand proudly knowing that they can soar to unbelievable heights. I am thankful for these past students that we remember fondly and so many current ones who are making deposits... I guess I just miss my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment