Sunday, October 18, 2015

Heroes Among Us

Have you ever heard the saying, "It is better to give than to receive" or "Serving others will always bring you satisfaction"? Well maybe you haven't heard the second one, it's not as popular as the first one. I really don't even know where I picked it up from. However, I have found throughout my life and my various careers, that both sayings are really true. I really do believe when you serve others, it brings some satisfaction to your life. You know you aren't going to get paid for your service but yet you walk away from whatever you were doing and feel great about what you did. It can be hard to explain but it does make you happy. I see it all the time when our ambassadors work on the day of caring or the blood drive. I talk with these student's afterwards and they always comment on how hard the work was but that it felt really good helping others out.

Well recently I have discovered a hidden group of students who have figured this out at a really young age. I am talking about our health career students who are out working as STNA's (State Tested Nursing Assistants). Over the past couple of years I have been able to talk to many of these students who work in various nursing homes and elderly care centers in our area. I have been able to ask them about the type of work they do (which isn't totally pleasant work) and if they enjoy their jobs. I am always amazed that so many of them really enjoy this work simply because they get to help elderly people who are very sick or very old and dying. They said it makes them feel good helping the older people who can't help themselves. They take a certain pride when the patients ask for them by name or if they miss a day of work, the patients ask where they are. Many of these students went into our Health Careers field for various reasons. They thought it would be steady work for the rest of their lives, good money or their mother or father are in the health career field. What I find interesting is that each one ended up finding fulfillment in the job because they found joy in helping others and wanted to stay in the health field. This says a lot about my earlier statements. Maybe it is better to give than to receive and when we do this, we do find satisfaction and fulfillment.

A few times in my counseling career, I have met with a health career student who needed help getting through some grief they were experiencing because they lost a patient the night before. I can't tell you how much it moves me to see the love that these students have for their patients. It's as if they lost their own grandpa or grandma. They talk about how hard it is knowing they are gone and how sad it will be walking by their rooms. They tell me how they held the patients hand just the night before while the patient was falling asleep. They wrestle with their feelings and their reactions. Some get told not to get involved with their patients because they will get hurt, but I tell them to continue loving everyone of them right up to the end. These students may be the only person who shows love and concern to the patient. Many of them are without family and are in the nursing home all alone. It is these "heroes among us" who bring a warm feeling and peace to these patients as they take their last breath.

I have developed a deeper appreciation for our health career students and also for the fabulous lab instructors we have here at Vantage and have had in the past. I think of Shirley Jarvis who was the most soft spoken and kind person, the epitome of a Florence Nightingale. I also think of Reesa Rohrs who was strict with the students but loved them and cared for them like no other. I often told the students that I am glad she is so strict with them because when I am in the hospital and they walk in, I will know they were trained by the best. Currently we have two outstanding teachers who continue the excellence of our previous instructors, Leigh Carey and Wendy Baumle. I can't thank them enough for all the work they put into molding and shaping these heroes among us. Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment