Monday, December 7, 2015

Christmas All Year Round

One of the magical things about Christmas is that it tends to bring out the best in everyone. Oh I know that we all run into the "scrooges" once in awhile, the people who think Christmas is commercialized and say "bah humbug" to everything. However, I am talking about the genuine kindness we see from so many others. The ones who reach out to help a total stranger or the ones who go out of their way to do something nice for someone else. We see it around the school at this time of year with many of our students. You can truly see the magic of Christmas when you look at all the toys accumulated for the "toss a toy" event and all the money raised by our students for needy families around this area.

I would simply like to take this time to say that there is a certain person around our school who carries this magical attitude of kindness and giving all year round. If you have ever walked in the front door of our building, then you have been met with a very kind greeting and a very warm welcome by our receptionist, Mrs. Diane Mercer. As the school counselor, I take notice of the kindness offered to our students, no matter where or when it happens. I can not tell you how many times I have walked into the front office to see a student who is feeling really lousy. One who is suffering from the flu, a cold, pounding headache or some other ailment. It is during these times that I see Mrs. Mercer very gently and calmly talking to these students and letting them know that they will be okay. She may then offer a glass of water, a piece of candy or anything that may help them until the parents come and pick them up. It is the kind words that make the student feel that they are in the presence of a kind and caring mother or grandmother. The words are healing enough to help ease the students pain or misery until they get picked up to go home.

Many times I have had Mrs. Mercer come to me and inform me that she was talking to a certain student and that they opened up to her about some of the issues and problems going on in their life. They do this because they trust her and they feel comfortable around her. Mrs. Mercer talks to them without any judgement and the student recognizes this. I have seen several students talking with her with tears in their eyes and a lump in their throat. I have also had Mrs. Mercer tell me their stories, with a tear in her eye and a lump in her throat. She does this because she cares and deep down wants to help. It is at this time when the student feels hopeless, that she gives them hope. I appreciate the love and kindness that Mrs. Mercer shows our students. I appreciate that she informs me when someone is hurting and that the students feel comfortable enough to open up to her. I appreciate that we have such an awesome group of staff members here at Vantage that really do care about our students and their well being. I also am glad that when I walk in the building in the morning, that I am greeted with a warm welcome and a friendly smile. I am glad that Mrs. Mercer has taught me that it really can be Christmas all year round. Thanks Diane, you're the best.

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Fisher,

    What a great article about a FANTASTIC person!!! Mrs. Mercer is someone who is cherished by all.

    Like you stated, Vantage has an awesome group of staff members.

    ReplyDelete