Monday, March 16, 2020

Here to Help

What a strange and unusual time we are living in. As most of you are trying to get used to not having school for at least three weeks, many of the staff and administration are trying to figure this all out too. I have to admit that it seems kind of surreal. It truly is bizarre not having spring sports or practices. Having the state tournaments cancelled after so much hard work from all the athletes and watching the news that is 100% focused on the virus. It seems like there are so many questions that all of you have and yet no one has an answer yet. That is the frustrating part for all of you, I am sure. I realize you have questions about graduation, proms, college admissions and even your jobs. I will not try to answer any of those questions on my blog unless I hear from administration. What I can suggest is that you keep watching our social media posts. These will keep all of you updated as more and more information becomes available.

What I will do on this blog is try to put all of you a little more at ease. I want you to know that you can email me 24/7 while we are off school. I have answered several emails already just in the last few days. I will do my best to get back to you in a timely manner. If you are having stress or anxiety and just want to chat, then please email me and we can do that. My email is: fisher.j@vantagecareercenter.com . I would suggest that while you are off school for awhile, that you would avoid watching the news constantly. Please try not to constantly look at your phone for latest news and updates. Too much information can overwhelm you and cause you more stress and anxiety. Also, so many of the social media sites are just gossip and not actual facts. This could be a time where you connect more with yourself and your family. Take time to read a good book, play a board game, go outside for a walk or even a run. Ride your bike and take time to be thankful for the beautiful things you see outside. I also believe writing in a journal can help you take your mind off the stressful things. Write down your thoughts, feelings, reflections, joys, sorrows, things you are thankful for, things you dream about and any other things you want to put down on paper. Finally, do your school work. All of your teachers have discussed how you can access your assignments. It might be Google Classroom or via email. Whatever way is used, get your assignments done. You are still responsible for them. If you have questions on an assignment, email your teacher. They will be getting back to you in a timely manner.

I would like to leave you with a couple thoughts from the coronavirus.ohio.gov web site. Remember that the majority of people who contract COVID-19 will have only minor symptoms and will not need to be hospitalized. The elderly with underlying conditions are the ones most at risk. You can do your part by washing hands with water and soap, avoid contact with people who are sick, stay home when you are sick, cover your mouth with tissues or sleeve when coughing or sneezing, avoid touching your eyes, nose, mouth with unwashed hands and practice good hygiene habits. Most of all, I hope you will find ways to reduce your anxiety over this, it will pass. I care about you and I want you to know that I am available if you need to talk. This is uncharted territory for all of us, but together we can stay strong and help end this virus. Thank you,

No comments:

Post a Comment