Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Beautiful Conversation

Every once in awhile you get that opportunity in life where you realize you're in a special moment exactly at the same time you are living that moment. I was blessed to have that opportunity this past week. I had the pleasure of meeting and sitting down with Mrs. Van Oss (Industrial Mechanic Instructor, Kevin Van Oss' mother). As I have mentioned in a previous blog, Mrs Van Oss is a dedicated reader of my blog and in her own words states, "I never miss a single one". I have heard so many nice things about Kevin's mother that I was really looking forward to meeting her some day.

Well like I said, that day came last Friday and I am the better person for having that sit down conversation. As I sat in this very comfortable kitchen setting with Ted Verhoff, Kevin Van Oss and his mother, I couldn't have felt more at peace. Mrs. Van Oss is 94 years young and gives off such an aura of peace and kindness that it can be felt just in her smile. You would think that a woman who has lived through a World War, Korean War, Vietnam, the Great Depression, and 16 Presidents would have a lot to complain about. However, not once did she ever give the slightest hint that she was bitter or angry at life, it was just the opposite. She talked about how blessed she has been in her life. How she was happily married to a great guy and a hard working husband who always provided everything her family needed. How blessed she was for having four wonderful children who are still around and love her so much. I asked her if she thought the world was a lot better back when she was younger than it is today. She answered very quickly and said, "no, I don't think it really was. I look at all the things available today like the internet, and modern conveniences and I think we are still doing good today". What a great attitude. I did not expect that response because of all the bad news we hear about on the television, internet and newspapers everyday, but this is how Mrs Van Oss looks at life. I believe that her outlook on life is one of the main contributions to her long life. I believe we can all learn from looking at life in a more positive way rather than focusing on the negatives.

Often times I talk with students about avoiding negative people because they will bring you down. I tell them to find friends that you really enjoy being around. To hang out with friends who lift you up and encourage you rather than friends who bring you down by their actions or words. Often times in life we feel that we need "things" to make us happy, when really it comes down to what type of person are you. Do people want to be around you? Are others attracted to you because you build them up and encourage them? If you think about everything Mrs. Van Oss has gone through and then see the wonderful spirit she carries with her, you begin to look at your own life differently. As many of you are getting ready to graduate and go out into the world, I hope you will check yourself and see if you are pleasant to be around, do you look at the positive side of life, are you laughing more than complaining. I need to check myself daily and hope that someday I will be able to share peace, contentment and love all with a smile and some kind words. Thanks Mrs. Van Oss for doing that for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment