Sunday, September 25, 2016

Appreciation

This past Friday, Vantage Career Center held its annual Student Appreciation Day. This is a day we set aside to let all our students know how much we appreciate them. The weather was fantastic, the students were so well behaved and a good time was had by all. I hope the student's realize how much all of the staff really do appreciate them choosing to attend Vantage for their last two years.

Appreciation is really something that I have come to take for granted but was recently reminded of a few weeks ago. To appreciate something is the ability to understand the worth, quality or importance of something, according to Merriam-Webster. I wouldn't want what happened to me a few weeks ago to happen to any of you but I do think there is a good lesson in all of it. I hope the lesson I learned can also be used to get all of you thinking about it too. What happened a few weeks ago was a near miss accident while driving my vehicle. It could have been fatal for the other driver and maybe even for my wife. That incident really shook me up and since that time I have spent a lot of time thinking about it. My life would have changed from that moment on. I don't even want to think about the worst scenario that could have come out of it. However, what it did make me realize is there are a lot of things that we should be thankful for and really appreciate. Sometimes it seems so easy to be negative or complain about situations in our life. You only have to watch the news one evening and you can see all the negativity.

Since that incident, I have become a lot more appreciative about the things in my life. Of course there are the obvious things like appreciating that my wife is still with me and I have my family. What I am talking about, and this could be for all of us, is that I am appreciating the small things in life, the things we may take for granted. I would like you to try a little experiment if you will. See if you can imagine if you were locked up in prison for 10 to 15 years. Think about how that life would be and how most of your freedoms and the things you enjoy would be gone. I thought like this right after that incident and it changed my outlook on life. I now appreciate the drive into work in the morning and watching the sun come up over the horizon. I appreciate my morning cereal and my cup of coffee. I appreciate every friendly smile or big hello. I drive home about 45 miles an hour through the back roads just to enjoy all the sights, sounds and smells (yes, I'm sure I frustrate a few drivers but there really are only a couple a day who pass me). I appreciate my house and all the work that comes with it. I have enjoyed my time even more in the wood shop and even stopped to watch the sun go down. I have shut off the t.v and taped my favorite football games so I could walk or bike ride outside. I even try to leave the phone by the back door the entire time I am home, yes we can enjoy life without social media.

I think you get the point. I hope you will take some time today and try that little exercise. I think you will be surprised at how all the little annoyances that you have in your life, really aren't that annoying. I think you will find the pleasure in peace and quiet. I think you will enjoy a nice fall walk with your boyfriend, girlfriend, spouse or best friend. I believe you will realize that life is short and can end any minute and that appreciating the things we have, whether many or few, are some of the best things life has to offer. I truly do, and I also appreciate you. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment