Thursday, February 4, 2016

Sophomore Visits

WOW! What else can I say about Sophomore days. It was such an exciting time around the school yesterday. There was so much excitement and anticipation in the air. I spent a lot of time talking with the sophomores and getting their reaction to our school and to their particular program they were visiting. I can truly say that I had nothing but positives from the students that I talked with. They thought that our school was very big and wondered how long it would take to learn the layout. They mentioned the new equipment that our students get to work with, the fun that they were having and how cool it was to take home some projects.

It is always a great day when we welcome our sophomores. They have been here as eighth graders and now they get to come back and visit two programs of their choice for a half of a day. I love seeing the energy, the wide eyes and the anticipation of knowing they will be students here next year. I always enjoy showing off our school and the programs that we have here. I truly believe in Vantage Career Center as a tremendous opportunity for any student in our 13 schools. There is such a big push by the state of Ohio now for career tech and keeping our students working here in Ohio. I can think of no better place for a young person to come and jump start their college and/or career.

I know that we had over 600 some students visit yesterday, and this morning we have already received 65 applications. That shows me that the excitement is real and that the students and their families are getting the message about Vantage Career Center and the great benefits of coming here. We showed a slide show yesterday of many of our recent alumni and had on the screen their salaries and where they are working. It is an impressive list and a "jaw dropper" when you see these students making $18 to $25 dollars/hour.


I hope if you are reading this and you know a sophomore that may be interested in attending Vantage, that you would encourage them to sign up as soon as possible. I also realize that many times we may have parents who are a little hesitant about their son or daughter coming over here. All I can say is that I hope you would please talk to the parents and reassure them that Vantage is a great opportunity. I encourage you to invite them over for our open house on February 22nd. We will have all our labs open so they can ask questions of the instructors and they can sit in on a question and answer session with Mr. Knott and myself presenting. We will also have a few parents at that session and they will be telling their story and how happy and satisfied they are because they sent their son or daughter over here. There is no better time than now to be involved in Career Tech. Now is the time to "GET THE EDGE".

No comments:

Post a Comment