Sunday, January 24, 2016

Stay Calm and Relax

Well we are now a week into our second semester. We are also only a week away from turning the calendar over to February. My how time flies. This means that the seniors have approximately four months remaining in their high school career. This is such an exciting time for all of our students but especially the seniors. When I talk to the seniors about them getting close to graduation, they are always shocked and excited to think about how fast this year is going. Along with this excitement though, I am seeing a lot more students getting stressed out and frustrated about their futures. They are asking me about scholarships, college applications, FAFSA, and finding a job.

I just want all of you to take a deep breath and relax. We will get through this together. I realize for many of you, you are the first one in your family to go to college. This is exciting, but at the same time I realize you have no idea where to start or what steps to be taking. That is okay. That is what I am here for. If you have been feeling anxious or stressed out about where to go to college, not sure what you want to major in, financial aid questions, deadlines or any of the above, then I encourage you to take time and stop by my office. If you are planning on going into the work force and want some advice or direction, once again, please stop by and see me. This really is an exciting time for all of you seniors and I want you to enjoy it. I don't want you stressing out or getting overly anxious about your decisions. I also want you to take a good look at your grades and if during the first semester you failed a class, we will be talking. I will call you down and we will discuss what must be done to pass for the year. Please do not sabotage yourself or your grades in your classes as a "solution" to not feeling ready to leave high school.

Finally, once you have been accepted into the college of your choice, the military, or landed a career job, please stop by student services so we can get your picture and put it up on the bulletin board outside the media center. We are proud of you and just want to brag a little. Thanks,

No comments:

Post a Comment