Sunday, January 17, 2016

One Year Check Up

As I was looking back over my blogs from the previous year, I ran across one that is just over a year old. The blog was titled "Rachel's Challenge". I remember the presentation that we had in the commons for our students. I'm sure the seniors remember this presentation as well. Just as a quick reminder, the presentation was about Rachel Scott, a 17 year old who was the first student killed at Columbine High School in 1999 (see picture). Rachel lived her life in an unusual way from her other classmates. She was always reaching out to those who were different, who were picked on by others, or who were new at her school.

The presenter goes to high schools all around the United States and challenges the student's to live like Rachel did. I remember there were a lot of tears shed during that presentation and it had a strong effect on many of our students. In fact, we had several students that started a small group during their lunch time and they discussed how they would be different around school because of Rachel and her challenge to all of them. This group went on for about a month but then membership slowly dropped off and they no longer met.

Reading through the blog again got me thinking and wondering about how I am doing one year after the presentation and how I am doing meeting the five challenges that were presented to us. In case you don't remember, the challenges were:

                       1. Look for the best in others
                       2. Dream big
                       3. Choose positive influences
                       4. Speak with kindness
                       5. Start your own chain reaction

As I thought about this, I realize that I can point to certain areas that I am improving upon but others that are still a work in progress. While going through this exercise, I thought about our seniors and staff that sat through this presentation. Maybe each of you can think about how you are doing one year later. Are you looking for the best in others? Are you reaching out to help the students who are a little bit "different"? How about the one's who are being picked on? Do you stick up for them?

Today's blog isn't for pointing out faults or for analyzing if most of us have forgotten what this challenge was all about. I simply want all of us to think about Rachel's challenge again and ask what you are doing different because of it. The one thing that hurts me so much when I see it is when a student is sitting alone during lunch. I can't imagine the loneliness that those students are feeling and how awkward it must be. My hope for writing this blog is that maybe someone will step out of their comfort zone and go sit at that table with the student or welcome them to your table. Sometimes the most simple act of kindness can change another person's entire day or possibly their life. I hope you will take this challenge and watch how it will change you also.

No comments:

Post a Comment