Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Living The Dream

For those of you that read this post on a regular basis, you will know that I like country music and I find a lot of inspiration for my blog through country music. One thing that you may not be aware of is the fact that Mr. Van Oss also shares my love of country music. On several occasions we will mention a new song we heard and see what the other person thinks about it. Well not long ago, I received a text message from Mr, Van Oss asking me to listen to a new song by Luke Bryan called "Most People Are Good". I would hope that even if you are not a fan of country music, that you would listen or watch this one on YouTube.

There are so many great lyrics but I really want to highlight a couple that stood out to me. The song starts out with "I believe kids oughta stay kids as long as they can. Turn off the screen, go climb a tree, get dirt on their hands." How true is that statement. The number of students I see that deal with stress and anxiety continues to grow. I believe that most of the time it is because these students end up having to deal with adult issues and adult problems when they are just sixteen and seventeen. I truly wish they wouldn't have to worry about parents, helping pay the rent, working right after school until 11:00 pm or where their next meal is coming from. I wish they could just be kids.

Another lyric that rings really true for today is "I believe if you just go by the nightly news, Your faith in all mankind would be the first thing you lose." How true is that. It is easy to get so caught up in today's headlines that we forget to look around and see the really great things happening. Like the saying goes, "stop and smell the roses".

The chorus throughout the song says "I believe most people are good, and most Mama's oughta qualify for sainthood...I believe this world ain't half as bad as it looks, I believe most people are good." My wish is that you would not focus so much on all the trouble talked about daily in the news and take a good look around you. Take a look at the people you go to school with, the people you work with and the people you hang around with. I think you would agree that most people are good. They want the same thing you want out of life. A good day, a good laugh, maybe a tear every once in awhile and certainly good friends.

Lately I have spent a lot of time looking around and noticing that I am surrounded by some really good people. Talking with Mr. Joyce the other day we both came to that same agreement and we agreed that working at Vantage is almost like we are "living the dream".

No comments:

Post a Comment