Wednesday, September 13, 2017

How Do You See It?

I know a pretty hot topic of discussion lately has been about all the hurricanes that we have seen recently. There was hurricane Harvey that hit Texas just a couple of weeks ago and then this weekend we have seen the devastation in Florida from hurricane Irma.  I know that several people around Vantage have places down in Florida and were lucky enough to escape with only minor damage. We have all seen the pictures of the flooding and the damage to buildings, boats and landscape. I think it makes all of us pause and realize how in an instant our lives can change all around us. We should be grateful for each and every day that we have and make the most out of every moment.

Most of Sunday and Monday night I was watching the events unfold down in Florida. I was pretty much glued to the weather channel. As many of you know from my blogs, I enjoy the warm weather and beaches that places like Florida and the Caribbean offer. I have been to Key West and down in the Lesser Antilles. It is sad to see so much damage to such beautiful areas. However, the one thing that I found really interesting as I watched the news channels interview residents in the days following the storm, was the different ways that people look at things. I would hear two people being interviewed who were from the same area but they had different ways of looking at the damage. I am not saying either way was right or wrong. I don't know how I would react in that situation. There was a young gentleman who lost everything he had except the clothes on his back, yet he seemed so calm and at peace as he spoke with tears in his eyes and stated that he will re-build and he will fight back. There was another person who seemed like they were just giving up and too tired to fight.

I don't know much about any of those two people, if anything at all. However, it reminded me of a quote from C.S. Lewis that states, "For what you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing. It also depends on what sort of person you are." I know we all deal with certain problems and issues in our own lives. It may be something like an irritation at home or school, or a bigger concern like a health issue. I think we learn to deal with those issues before they ever approach us. I believe that  life experiences and circumstances have the opportunity to shape us into the person we are today and the person we will become. It all starts with how we handle each and every situation. As young students, you have the opportunity to begin shaping your life today. When situations arise that frustrate you and cause you to be upset, then take some time to cool off and then deal with the situation. Think through things before you act. Don't hit the send button until you have thought about what you are saying or who you might hurt. The steps that you take today to act calmly in any situation will prepare you far into the future to be a mature and responsible adult. Then when life throws a real "hurricane" at you, you will be ready to face the unknown future with peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment