Sunday, January 22, 2017

Hang In There

Now I don't want to give my age away but I do realize things today aren't quite the way they were when I grew up. For example; phones are no longer attached to the wall, we don't have to get up and walk across the room to change the television and milk is no longer delivered to your door. I am not saying things are any better today or any worse, we all have our own opinions. However, I will say one thing. Today seems to be a time of instant results, instant gratification, instant information and on and on. Seriously, how many of you have gotten impatient at McDonald's because you had to wait longer than a few minutes for your dinner.

Our youth have always grown up in this kind of world. All the information they need is at their fingertips. They can google anything they want and have an answer in a millisecond. They can call anywhere in the world and instantly chat with a friend or a stranger. Do you realize that the students of today have never been without the internet or cell phones. I guess what all this is leading up to is my concern for so many students today that I hear want to graduate early or quit school to start working early. The juniors ask me if they can take a couple classes during the summer and finish school a year early. When I ask them why they want to do that, they usually respond that they don't want to wait around another year before they start working. They want to get out and make some money. Unfortunately, over the years I have had students want to quit school once they turn 18 so they can start working, even though I tell them they will not get a job without a diploma. They seem to have the answers. They will get their GED, or they will finish on-line. Almost all of these students, except for a few exceptions, want to rush their life and move on to the next phase.

I wish all of those students would take a pause and realize that you will be missing out on another year of a great education here at Vantage. Every program will be adding more information and skills to make you an excellent candidate that any company would be glad to hire. Another year for the juniors will shape you into a highly skilled and trained employee. It will also allow you to make several connections with the employers in this area who know first hand where to go for skilled labor and professional workers. I receive calls weekly from companies asking me to let them know as soon as the senior class graduates so that they can hire them. For the seniors I simply want you to hang in there and finish strong. We are into our second semester and you are so close to the finish line. Being 18 only makes you another year older. It isn't as important as your diploma, trust me. I hope those of you with "senioritis" will think about your future and not the immediate wants. I hope that you will finish strong and be the leaders around the school that we are looking for. The impressions you make with us the last four months can go a long way in our recommendations for you, both this year and in the future.

Seniors, you have worked hard for the last thirteen years. Keep your eyes focused on the finish line and strive to do your best. The rewards at the end will be well worth it, and when Mr. Unverferth hands you your diploma, you will realize that you did the right thing. You earned something no one can take away from you. All I ask is that you hang in there, just a few more months.

No comments:

Post a Comment